An Industry Response
1. How is Covid-19 affecting the tourism industry in Connemara and The Islands?
Both inside and outside the CAITN Network we are hearing how heavily this Covid-19 virus (and related travel restrictions) is hitting businesses and organisations. From full cancellations, deferrals, temporary closures, event cancellations, to changes in the layout of premises – we’re hearing it all. In particular, international business has been severely reduced with more and more being cancelled daily.
2. What Can Be Done by The Industry?
We have established a Tourism Response Group within CAITN. The purpose of this group is to formulate a post lockdown marketing response for Connemara & The Islands – details on request. This group has had a preliminary meeting already and will have a follow-up meeting in the coming days.
3. Things Your Business / Organisation Can Do
a) THINK AHEAD
- As an industry we need to think past the current crisis and onto what can be done for May onwards. If you have suggestions on what the region can do to put Connemara ahead of the pack (post lockdown) we’re all ears email@example.com
b.) Workplace Practices
- Social Distancing – Practice Social Distancing in your businesses and organisations
- Signage & Advice – Posters and Advice are available on: https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/partner-resources/
c.) Become Aware of the Sources of information / Supports – examples below
- Fáilte Ireland – https://www.failteireland.ie/Utility/Covid-19.aspx
- HSE – https://www2.hse.ie/coronavirus/
- Revenue – https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/press-office/press-releases/2020/pr-130320-revenue-announce-measures-to-assist-smes-experiencing-cashflow-difficulties-arising-from-covid-19.aspx
- Dept. of Foreign Affairs & Trade – https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/coronavirus/
- Gov.ie – https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/c36c85-covid-19-coronavirus/
4. What’s Next?
- We are working on details and makeup of the Proposed Campaign
- We will be in touch next week with more specifics.
- If you have suggestions, please send them to us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you wish to have updates on this, sign up here https://mailchi.mp/d6a221477346/caitnnewsletter
CAITN (Connemara & Aran Islands Tourism Network) is an independent and not-for-profit tourism association representing the interests of all stakeholders in the tourism industry in the Connemara and Aran Islands region. The Network, which meets quarterly was established following a recommendation by Fáilte Ireland after their development of a tourism strategy for Connemara and the Aran Islands (known as The Connemara & Aran Islands Visitor Experience Development Plan (VEDP). It is early days for this network but the connections with stakeholders is now starting to make a real difference.
Terry O’Toole – CAITN (Co-Chair) (087) 7784856
Dominic O’Morain – CAITN (Co-Chair) (087) 2458764
The Connemara & Aran Islands Tourism Network